Monday, April 22, 2013

True North

Last night Ben and I watched the movie Lincoln.  I't was good.  It was also a little hard for me to understand everything they were talking about.  They spoke so differently then.  It made us both think about all the hard things that our country has gone through.  It made us wonder what they would think of America now.  I love a movie that makes you think, and that you come away from a smarter and better person.  One quote stuck out to me, I was still thinking about it when I got up this morning.

"A compass, I learned when I was surveying, it'll... it'll point you True North from where you're standing, but it's got no advice about the swamps and deserts and chasms that you'll encounter along the way. If in pursuit of your destination, you plunge ahead, heedless of obstacles, and achieve nothing more than to sink in a swamp... What's the use of knowing True North?"


No matter the obstacles between us and whatever it is we have set out to achieve, We have to be willing, and in fact expect and intend, to bend and compromise, and still continue on, looking "North" toward whatever this amazing life has in store for us. Beautiful still beautiful, happiness still happy, good still good, North still North. Anything is possible, Thank you Mr. Lincoln, for your beautiful example.

0 comments:

Post a Comment